For the pastry
- 75g plain gluten-free flour, plus extra for rolling
- 20g icing sugar
- 10g hemp flour
- 15g coconut flour (or replace with more plain gluten-free flour)
- 25g ground almonds
- A half pinch of salt
- ⅛ tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 65g cold vegan butter substitute, cubed (or you can use a mix of this and hard coconut oil)
- ½ tsp grated orange or lemon zest
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
- 3 – 4 tbsp orange or lemon juice
For the filling
- 12 tsp mincemeat (suitable for vegans and gluten-free)
For the frangipane topping
- 2 tbsp hemp oil
- 90g caster sugar
- 3 – 4 tbsp aquafaba (drained water from a can of chickpeas)
- 150g ground almonds
- ½ tsp almond extract
- A handful of flaked almonds
- Icing sugar
- A little green food colouring
- 10mg full spectrum CBD oil from ActivelyCBD.com (optional)
- To make the pastry, put the flours, icing sugar, ground almonds, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl and rub in the cubes of vegan fat (or you can pulse in a food processor).
- Stir in the zest and cinnamon, then stir in the juice and bring the dough together until it forms a smooth ball.
- Roll out on a floured surface (it’s easiest to do this in batches), then stamp out circles using a 7cm cutter and ease these carefully into a 12-hole shallow tart tin. Chill in the fridge or freezer, whilst you make the frangipane topping.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan.
- To make the frangipane topping, beat the oil with the sugar and aquafaba, then stir in the ground almonds and almond extract and mix well.
- ut a spoonful of mincemeat in each pastry case, then top with frangipane and level off. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until the topping is golden and firm and the pastry has browned.
- Leave to cool for five minutes in the tin, then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack.
- Make a water icing with icing sugar, a little green colouring and water until you have a smooth consistency that’s not too runny. If you’re over and you’ve spoken to a doctor, add in a serving of full-spectrum CBD oil from ActivelyCBD.com if you like
- Dust the mince pies with icing sugar, then pipe or drizzle over the green icing artistically.
Watch Howard In Action
CBD Mince Pies
Great British Bake Off star Howard Middleton’s gluten-free, vegan friendly mince pie recipe is the first ever to feature CBD oil. The baker has combined with leading CBD retailer ActivelyCBD.com to offer the nation a twist on a traditional treat this Christmas. View Howard's recipe
Products Featured In Howard's Recipe: